About Me

My photo
Follower of Jesus. Aspiring Nurse. YouTuber (lol). Blogger (lol). America's Best Shower singer. Ex-Religious. Ex-churchgirl. Ex-Pharisee.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Laziness and Idolatry

Sloth.
–noun
1. habitual disinclination to exertion; indolence; laziness.


Whoa. That's me for real. For every 1 day that I do real hard work, I want 3 days of vacation (sit around and do nothing)....or at least I act that way.
This is my confession: In times of much "nothing-to-do-ness" (i.e. my poor vacation planning)
I still gravitate to the computer or television. Which are all pseudo-activities of laziness. I'm realizing it doesnt' matter how much I say/think I love God, I am prone to give my soul to idols...no, really. I heard a pastor say once: America is not a democracy; its really a monarchy, the king is Sports, the Queen is Music, and the Prince is Movies. (something like that).
I would didn't disagree.

King of Pop died yesterday. Interesting thing happens on television: suddenly every newscaster gives a tribute about the once well-adored popstar. It didn't matter what was going on in the economy; Wallstreet could've fallen apart; aliens could've attacked..... no, no, no: Michael Jackson is dead. They showed images from his childhood to his last interview. If anyone saw these tributes and interviews of Michael and his close friends, it would be easy to note several things: (1) This dude really did NOT have a childhood....and probably not a good relationship with his father; and (2) Michael Jackson, with all his money and fame, didn't have a full life. In one interview of a close friend, the man divulges how Michael said he felt truly lonely. In many other interviews, Michael expressed how he couldn't enjoy simple things like walking down a street, going to Disney, going shopping (btw, did anyone see the broadcast of him going shopping at a boutique where his guards write down everything he wanted? crazy). So he created his own world behind his walls e.g. Neverland amidst his other homes. As well, in another interview, Michael said he really didn't know how to interact socially with people; he mostly felt comfortable on the stage. Between my mom and I, the general sentiment (from all the tributes/reports last night) was Here's a man who is the King of Pop and his legacy beyond music is he was lonely and misunderstood.

Sad. Most of us know the pithy observation: Money doesn't buy happiness. But I'm thinking there's another observation to make. Success is intoxicating, blinding, and deceiving.
Michael Jackson was an idol in the world. (Did you all see his garb back in the early 90s. He dressed like a King for real.) Michael Jackson, I don't think, knew his own need for a Savior, for community, for true love.

I remember my idolatry of Michael, back in the day.
Lord I re-renounce it today.
God save us, our generation from idolatry, laziness, and confusion. I repent on behalf of our nation; in longing for acceptance, love, and hope we turn to celebrities, shows, movies, and sports to give us what only YOU can provide. We are so confused. Please bring revelation of your love through us, your church; and may we be purified from the impure images of entertainment and come to enjoy the image of your love, your son, and your return. Get us ready, Lord.

Thanks for redeeming me from yesterday's laziness. Your perspective is good.

2 comments:

  1. mmm "America is not a democracy; its really a monarchy, the king is Sports, the Queen is Music, and the Prince is Movies" --->> TRU!!

    Ps. 16:11-at His right hand their are pleasures evermore...It's about time, we (I) start diving into these pleasures

    -Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. And considering all of that, isn't it a blessing that God has revealed to us the path of life?

    ReplyDelete